12 rock oysters, shucked
For the Rockefeller purée:
- 250g young spinach leaves
- 10g picked curly leaf parsley leaves
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 30g celery, peeled and chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 20mls Pernod
- The leaves from 2 sprigs tarragon
- Several shakes ofTabasco
- 1/4 tsp salt
- A few fresh breadcrumbs
- Fill a pan with plenty of water and bring to the boil. Plunge in the spinach and parsley, allow to boil for a couple of minutes and drain in a colander. Immediately dunk in iced water until cold.
- Squeeze as dry as possible between two hands until no more liquid seeps out. Set aside. Melt 25g of the butter in a deep frying pan, gently fry the celery and shallots until softened then add the Pernod, allowing it to bubble a little, then switch off. Cool briefly, then scrape into the bowl of a small food processor.
- Add the cooked spinach, tarragon,Tabasco, salt and the remaining 75g of butter. Purée until very smooth and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.Tip off any excess juice from the opened oysters and, using a small palette knife, completely cover each oyster with a generous coating of the spinach purée.
- Strew a baking dish [or deep metal pan] with coarse salt, to allow the oysters to sit neatly. Distribute a fine showering of breadcrumbs over the oysters and bake in the oven on the top shelf. Cook for about 7-8 minutes. Serve without delay.