- Red Vermouth (Antica)
Anchovies on toast
- 6 slices of pain de mie bread
- Olive oil
- 12 anchovy fillets [Ortiz]
- Cayenne pepper
- Mix together equal measures of gin, red vermouth (Antica) and Campari over ice.
- Take a wide strip of orange zest, spritz it over the drink and then add to the glass.
Anchovies on Toast
- Brush bread with olive oil on both sides.
- Using three at a time, lay them in a frying pan set over a moderate heat. Allow to become golden for a couple of minutes. Flip them over, repeat the process and keep warm.
- Now do the same to the remaining three slices. (another couple of minutes)
- Lay 3 anchovy fillets along the length of each toast, allowing a gap between them. Cut off the crusts [or not, if you like] and slice between the anchovies to make three 'anchovy soldiers'.
- Sprinkle over a touch of cayenne and eat with the Negroni.